Celebrating 3 years of 1800MyOptions!
What is 1800MyOptions?
1800 My Options is government funded service established by Women’s Health Victoria in 2018. It is made up of both a telephone service and a website that aim to provide women with information regarding sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services, and where they can access those services, based on a network of registered providers.
Key principles which informed the development and creation of the service, and continue to inform its operation today are: woman-centred, pro-choice, equitable, non-judgmental, coordinated and interconnected, accessible, evidence based, impartial, and feminist.
An independent evaluation of the service conducted by the Nossal Institute of Global Health yielded the following:
- 1800MyOptions is integral to the SRH system in Victoria,
- Supports disadvantaged communities,
- Reduces stigma around abortion and contraception, and
- Increases access to essential sexual and reproductive health service
Over the last three years:
- 1800 My Options has supported 13,000 Victorian women callers and a further 57,000 unique website users to access contraception, pregnancy options including abortion, and sexual health information and services – no matter where they live in the state.
- Almost 400 trusted, pro-choice sexual and reproductive health care services across Victoria are now registered within 1800 My Options’ comprehensive database.
Women’s Health Victoria is proud to announce that the Minister for Health, the Hon Martin Foley MP, has announced $1.67 million in funding for 1800 My Options for a further four years.
Quotes attributable to Dianne Hill, CEO Women’s Health Victoria:
“1800 My Options breaks down barriers and stigma for women seeking legal, safe, and common sexual and reproductive health services.”
“Women often don’t know where to go, or who to ask about sexual and reproductive health information or services they need. 1800 My Options is the confidential, evidence-based service that can help them, no matter where they live in Victoria.”
For more information please visit: https://www.1800myoptions.org.au/