Where does the VMWS come from?
Our first meeting was held in the home of Constance Stone, one of the founders of the VWMS, with her sister Clara taking up the presidency. In 1890, she became the first woman to be registered with the Medical Board of Victoria. Her sister followed her into medicine, and they went into private practice together, working at an out-patients dispensary on La Trobe street.
In September 1896, 11 of Melbourne’s female physicians including Clara and Constance founded the Queen Victoria Hospital, the first hospital in Victoria operated for women by women. Their passion and dedication has changed the world, or at least our part of it, for the betterment of both female patients and female physicians.